Routine dental care is crucial for healthy teeth. Our dental office in Balboa offers thorough routine care, however, this process is continued by our patients at home by brushing their teeth at least twice a day for two minutes and flossing at least once per day.
What does routine dental care consist of?
A routine dental care may consist of the following procedures:
- In case the patient is prone to infections, certain antibiotics could be prescribed before undergoing some dental treatments. Ask your physician or dentist for further details on this matter. Antibiotics could be prescribed if you:
- Suffer from certain heart issues which could lead to a heart infection called endocarditis
- In case you have a disabled immune system
- Suffered major surgeries or have artificial body parts, like an artificial hip or a heart valve;
- Our dentist could inquire about the foods you have. That is because your diet can affect your dental health
- Cleaning the teeth through eliminating tartar from the patient’s teeth with a special tool. Afterwards, our dentist will floss the patient’s teeth, utilize a polishing substance and apply fluoride. Generally, teeth cleaning does not involve any pain
- Sometimes, X-rays will be taken
- In case you suffer from gum disease or tooth decay, the dentist will discuss with you about changing your oral care habits. For severe cases, he or she can prescribe antibiotics, certain mouthwashes or some other types of dental care treatments.
How often should you undergo routine care in our dental office?
Generally, it is recommended to see our experienced dentist every six months. Sometimes, though, he will recommend patients to receive more frequent cleanings and routine care.
It could be necessary to see our dentist more often than every six months if:
- In case he or she suffers from diabetes
- If the patient has a weak immune system
- The patient suffers from current gum disease
- The patient has the tendency to develop numerous cavities and to build up plaque
- If he or she smokes
What happens next?
After the routine dental care examination, our dentist will inform you about the state of the oral cavity and provide advice on what the next procedures should consist of.
Sometimes, another appointment will be made for a further treatment or the dentist will advise you on what dental care measures you should take at home to improve your oral health.
It is of utmost importance to listen to his advice and follow his recommendations as much as possible, in order to ensure that your next check up will have positive results.
Finally, a future appointment six months down the line will be made. It is important to make this appointment so that you do not forget to have your routine dental care effectuated on a regular basis.